Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Secret Pal 8 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I adore variegated colors and interesting textures, and have a preference for natural fibers. I love alpaca, cashmere, and soft wool, but then again, I’m only a knitter of 6 months and am still exploring to find what I like. I’m open to trying new things.

What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I don’t like really harsh acrylics that hurt my hands, and I’m not fond of eyelash or novelty yarn. Softer acrylics don’t bother my hands, though. I just tend to prefer natural fibers.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I just store them in the plastic bins I store my yarn in, usually banded together to prevent me from losing them. I try to keep them organized but so far I seem to spend my money on acquiring stash, not organizing it! I'd really like to find the time to organize my stash and add in some lavendar sachets for moth control.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I started in December 2005, and am a beginner. I’m also balancing fulltime work and graduate school, so I’m making slow but steady progress.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? My Froogle one will be on my sidebar when it's completed.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Soft fresh scents like Linen, Mandarin, Cucumber Melon, or soothing scents like Lavender or Vanilla.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I love Sour Patch Kids and Pop Rocks. I also love milk chocolate, or dark chocolate with raspberries! Edited to Add: I'm watching what I eat pretty seriously, however, and I'm not allowing myself sweet indulgences at the moment.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I love dyeing yarn but I’m still very new to that, and I’d love to learn how to spin. I used to make soaps, and paint and sketch. Otherwise, I tend to be more creative through cooking- domestic but not exactly crafty. I'd love to get back to soapmaking but I only have so much free time.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Yes, it can play Cds and mp3s. I like 80s music. Billy Joel and Rob Thomas. 90s Alternative music. Spanish guitar and sultry bellydance type music. Soft female singers like Loreena McKinnett, Sarah McLaughlin, Dido, etc. But not Mariah Carey or boy bands.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? I love rich chestnuts, wines, plums, blues, greens, dove greys, smoky blues, corals. I also love Caribbean colors, cornflower blues, aquas, clear greens, that sort of thing.

Any colors you just can't stand? I’m not a big fan of 70s style mustard brown or pea green in general, but sometimes in small doses…

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Gypsy, my lab/springer spaniel rescue, is my loveable troublemaker. She loves to eat my bamboo straight needles. She usually curls up next to me while I knit, and snores loudly. She’s my imp.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves and hats. I’ve never tried a poncho. I love my current gloves so I probably won’t wear mittens.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I am trying something new each time, so I have not found a favorite yet.

13. What are you knitting right now? Booga Bag, and by May 15th, I’ll hopefully be starting my first pair of socks. If not, I've got a backup project waiting in the wings.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes :)

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Well, my puppy likes to chew on Bamboo, so I've been trying the aluminum straights. She's not munched my bamboo circulars, though. I’m still figuring out my preferences, and it depends on the project and type of yarn. I'm starting to really like circs.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? As of today, I own a yarn winder!

17. How did you learn to knit? From the internet and various books.

18. How old is your oldest UFO? 4 months, but since I’ve only been knitting 6 months, I’m not sure that’s a great ratio to have.

19. What is your favorite holiday? The New Year. For me, it’s a chance to reflect, and renew my spirit.

Odd factoid I found: April is national frog month. Who knew?

20. Is there anything that you collect? Recipes. Yarn.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

On my “someday future wish list”:
tvini's Jayne Hat Kit

and...
The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face: Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask

What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None- yet. I’m still trying to find the right one and to find the time to read them each month. I’m the type of person who reads magazines from cover to cover and saves interesting patterns.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Entrelac, laces, cabling, and socks!

23. Are you a sock knitter? I want, desperately, to be a sock knitter. So far I am not. The instructions are very hard for me to decipher. But I’m determined to do it.

What are your foot measurements?
Foot circumference: 8.75"
Foot length: 10”

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) October 28

No comments: