Saturday, September 16, 2006

Sock-ret Pal Questionnaire

The basics:

How long have you been knitting? Dec. 2005

Do you consider yourself a beginning sock knitter, an intermediate, or have you been doing this so long you could probably knit a pair in your sleep? Beginner. I tried DPNs but they were difficult to handle, so I tried two circulars and found it works for me. I love it so far, and plan to get a few pairs under my belt before we do the exchange. I’ll probably go back to trying DPNs once I get the hang of how a sock is constructed.

The measurements:

While your pal may ask for some additional info to ensure a great fit, please provide your shoe size, or any other fitting related info you think is pertinent. Woman's 8 ½ US


(fiber related) Favorites:

What colors do you love? Carribean colors (turquoise, light greens, corals) and also rich jewel tones: wines, plums, cobalt/midnight blues, teals, greens

Do you prefer solids or variegated? Variegated.

What fibers do you most love to knit with? Wool, alpaca, wool/mohair blends. But I’m still new and trying things to see what I like.

Who do you consider your favorite yarn vendors? I shop around online, from Knitpicks to Webs to various vendors in Etsy and a lot of places in between. I love the handpainted yarns.

What projects (other than socks, of course*S*) do you most enjoy knitting? I work fulltime and am attending a graduate program in the evenings. Knitting/dyeing is my relaxation. So my projects are small things I can do in small bursts. I’m still growing in my skills, so mostly I do projects that I enjoy and that teach me new skills: fuzzy feet, dishcloths, socks. I just learned cables and am hoping to move on to entrelac next.

(fiber related) Dislikes:

What fibers can you not stand to knit with? To wear? Eyelash yarn/funfur. I’m not fond of harsher acrylic, or roughness/itchyness. Softness is important to me, as is color.

What colors would you never wear? Mustard/pea green. Neon or Rainbow anything.

The Tools:

Plastic or Metal? Bamboo or wood? I like my Denises but have fallen in love with the smaller Knitpicks Circulars I bought for socks. I’m hoping to get a set of Options for my birthday from family- love the pointy tip and the cord.

Circs or Straights? I’m gravitating towards circulars. I do also have some straights and don’t mind them, its just with the Denises, I have more circulars on hand.

DPNs or Magic Loop? I’m interested in learning how to work with DPNs.

Are there any knitting accessories you don't have in your collection but would like? I’m ok on basics, so mostly my list is made up of "wouldn't it be great if I had.... " a small niddy noddy, project bag for socks, anything to stay organized.

The Extras:

Do you have a wish list? If so, please share the link! Not yet but when I do, it will be on my sidebar.

Do you like sweet, sour or salty? (or all of the above? *S*) I love Sour Patch Kids and dark chocolate with raspberries, but try not to indulge often.

Do you have any allergies your pal should know about? (Certain foods, smoke, pet hair, etc) I am extremely sensitive to smoke.

Favorite scents? Lavender, vanilla, lightweight clean smells like soft cotton/linen type scents,herbal or cucumber melon. Nothing too heavy.

Scents you can't stand? Super sweet, heavy floral scents.

Do you collect anything (other than yarn and knitting toys of course)? Recipes.

When is your birthday? (month and day is fine!) Oct. 28

Do you spin? No.

Dye your own yarn? I’m experimenting with dyeing and love it. I use Jacquard acid wash dyes.

Your favorite author/band/vacation spot, anything you think will help your pal know you better...

  • My motto in life is “No Opportunities Wasted” and I try to live with no regrets.
  • I’ve traveled quiet a bit, and will probably do more of that once I graduate. I’d love to visit Iceland or New Zealand next.
  • I love to cook and entertain when I can, and have been learning more about wines in the past year.

No comments: