Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Secret Pal 10

1. a.What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Currently, it's sock yarn. But overall, my absolute favorite so far has been Watermark, by Fiesta Yarns. It's amazingly soft, and was the type of yarn I had to stop every three rows to pet and sigh over. Other favorites include: Lorna's Laces, Cherry Tree Hill, Classic Elite Lush, Knitpicks Shine and Ambrosia, Lamb's Pride.

I have some Knitpicks Gloss and Lisa Souza sock yarn that I am dying to knit up- they are both incredible to the touch. I adore variegated colors and interesting textures, and have a preference for natural fibers, particularly alpaca, merino wool, wool/mohair or cashmere/wool blends.

I've only been knitting for a year and a few months, so my exposure to different types of yarns is limited- its one of the reasons why I enjoy the exchanges so much.

b. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I don’t like really harsh acrylics that hurt my hands, and I’m not fond of eyelash or novelty yarn. Some cottons are hard on my hands as well. Softer acrylics don’t bother my hands though, but I prefer natural fibers.

Texture and color are both very important to me.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
A plastic three drawer box, and my Options case. I'd love to be more organized in my knitting storage (needles and notions and stash) but I never seem to get to that point.

3. a. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
Dec 2005. Self-taught through internet (especially knitting help videos) and learned socks from DVD. I do better with visuals than just text.

b. Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Adventurous beginner.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? There's a yarn-y wishlist in my margin, but its mostly to remind myself of interesting yarn as I come across it.

5. What's your favorite scent?
Clean fresh scents (cotton, linen), vanilla, lavender, cucumber melon, mandarin
Nothing too cloying, overly floral or sweet

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Please, nothing edible. I'm watching what I eat and need to avoid temptation at all costs.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I'd like to learn how to spin but that is quite a ways off. I have found I love dyeing yarn, though. I use the Jacquard acid dyes.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Yes, it can play Cds and mp3s. I like 80s music (Duran Duran, Madonna, Depeche Mode, U2 assorted long hair bands). Billy Joel and Rob Thomas. Garbage. Soft female singers like Loreena McKinnett, Sarah McLaughlin, Dido, etc. But not Mariah Carey or boy bands.

9. a. What's your favorite color(s)? I love rich chestnuts, wines, plums, blues, greens, dove greys, smoky blues, corals. I also love Caribbean colors, cornflower blues, aquas, clear greens, that sort of thing.

b. Any colors you just can't stand? I’m not a big fan of 70s style mustard brown or pea green in general. Yellows/Beige look terrible near my face. Neons (with the exception of bright colors on my ballband washcloths)

10. a. What is your family situation? Live with my best friend.

b. Do you have any pets?
We share Gypsy, who is our lab/springer spaniel rescue.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Hats and scarves.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?I've recently discovered socks and I'm hooked. This is my year of the sock.

I also enjoy knitting fuzzy feet and washcloths, and make baby items for various charities. I work fulltime and attend graduate courses in the evenings, so I like small, portable projects I can work on easily in the free time I can find... at least until July 2007 when I graduate (and finally get my weekends and evenings back again!!)

13. What are you knitting right now?
Socks for my Sockret Pal, and about to start children's socks for afghans for Afghans.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes, provided it is something I would use. I'd hate for someone to go through the trouble of making me a tea cozy when I don't drink tea, etc. I've not had that happen yet, thank goodness :)

15. a. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circulars (Options)
For socks, I use two Knitpicks Circulars.

b. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Nickel plated. Gypsy eats bamboo ones.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes, I have both. Next, I'm hoping to get a small niddy noddy.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? Irish Hiking Scarf from July. I just got burned out and can't seem to want to pick it up again.

18. What is your favorite holiday? The New Year. For me, it’s a chance to reflect, and renew my spirit.

Also, I'm a fan of International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Yarrrrr!

19. Is there anything that you collect? Recipes. Otherwise, I try not to collect anything that may someday turn into clutter (which can easily happen with me). I'll probably be moving once I graduate so I'm trying to keep extra 'stuff', including knick knacks, to a minimum.

I am a scented candle and lotion fanatic, though, and I never have enough purse sized hand creams.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I'm dying to try Apple Laine yarn
Otherwise, a pair of size 0's Knitpicks classic circulars
I never have enough small crochet hooks to pick up stitches, or tape measures.
I'm good on books, though.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Entrelac (so I can one day make a Lady E stole), and being able to follow more complicated patterns.

I'd also like to eventually move on to sweaters so a future project will be a couple of child/baby sized sweaters before I move into adult size. And learning how to use DPNs for socks, right now it is just awkward.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Size 8.5 Womens (US). I can be more specific in email if you tell me what you need to know.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) October 28

24. Extra: I'm earning my Masters degree in the evenings and work full time so my knitting time is primarily relaxation/stress relief, at least until July when I graduate. I don't have a local knitting group so the internet's been a wonderful way to talk with people who share the same interests I do.

No comments: