Sure, you can microwave Velveeta and salsa together to make a quick queso, but this doesn't take much longer (15 minutes, tops) and tastes much better.
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups low sodium, low fat chicken chicken broth
4 cups shredded cheese
1 small can diced green chilies (or a couple of chipotles, if desired)
A few heaping teaspoons of fire-roasted salsa
1. Melt butter in large saucepan and add in flour. Stir with whisk to remove lumps.
2. Cook over low heat for a few minutes until it is smooth and has a soft nutty flavor. (Make sure the flour is cooked... raw flour has a distinctive taste).
3. Add in chicken broth. Stir until smooth, and cook until it begins to thicken (5 minutes or so). Stir occasionally.
4. Add in four cups of shredded cheese... I did sharp cheddar but Jack cheese is also good.
5. Stir in green chilies and salsa to taste.
You can use this as a queso dip (as pictured), or in cheesy chicken quesadillas, or my absolute favorite... chicken nachos (we use shredded rotisserie chicken).
Using large pyrex dish, pour some of the queso on bottom.
Add in layer of tortilla chips.
Add in layer of shredded chicken.
Add on layer of queso.
Repeat for a couple of layers, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes.
Top with fresh salsa, fresh cilantro, guacamole or sour cream.