Saturday, February 04, 2006

Experimentations with KoolAid

I'm sporting some blue stained fingers and a scent that can only be described as "fruitilicious". And a triumphant grin- I have entered the world of dyeing yarn! (note to self: invest in plastic gloves)

I was going to save the KoolAid dyeing for a rainy afternoon this month but being the instant gratification person I am I broke down and did it already! The yarn is drying now and I'll have pictures later. Most importantly, I had a lot of fun.

I'm not sure how much I like the results. I was going for a nice carribean color scheme but started playing around with it and now it looks a bit like Rainbow Bright. I'm usually not a "use every color in the crayon box" type of person so I'm a bit in shock- or maybe dazed by the fruity powders. One of the yarns I made in deeper tones than the other pastel ones, just to see how it would turn out. I used Brown Sheep Nature Spun in the sports weight, and this will probably knit up to be the wildest pair of wool socks I will ever own. It will probably be the first pair of socks I ever make, but that's a ways off.

Anyway, I have a much better idea of what kind of colors, techniques, etc I'll be trying for my second batch.

Flexing my needles: I'm so ready for the Olympics! I think they have 2500+ people signed up so far. I can't believe how much work that would be... thank you, Yarn Harlot!

No comments: