1a. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
My absolute favorite so far has been Watermark, by Fiesta Yarns. It's amazingly soft, and was the type of yarn I had to stop every three rows to pet and sigh over. Other favorites include: Lorna's Laces Worsted, Knitpicks Shine, Classic Elite Lush, Lamb's Pride.
I adore variegated colors and interesting textures, and have a preference for natural fibers, particularly alpaca, merino wool, wool/mohair blends.
I've only been knitting for a year, so my exposure to different types of yarns is limited- its one of the reasons why I enjoy the exchanges so much.
b. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I don’t like really harsh acrylics that hurt my hands, and I’m not fond of eyelash or novelty yarn. Softer acrylics don’t bother my hands, though. I just tend to prefer natural fibers.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
A plastic three drawer box, and a Denise case. I'd love to be more organized in my knitting storage (needles and notions and stash) but I never seem to get to that point.
3. a. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
Dec 2005. Self-taught through internet (especially knitting help videos) and learned socks from DVD. I do better with visuals than just text.
b. Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Usually my wishlist is geared towards family/friends who don't live near me. It's pretty basic and not the sort of thing they have on Amazon. Gift certs to Diva Knitting or Knitpicks are always appreciated. (Diva Knitting has some dyes I'm coveting). Maybe a small niddy noddy, pretty stitch markers, or a small size project bag to keep my WIP in.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
Clean fresh scents (cotton, linen), vanilla, lavender, cucumber melon, mandarin
Nothing too cloying, overly floral or sweet
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I try not to indulge very often.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I'd like to learn how to spin but that is quite a ways off. I have found I love dyeing yarn, though. I use the Jacquard acid dyes.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Yes, it can play Cds and mp3s. I like 80s music (Duran Duran, Madonna, Depeche Mode, U2 assorted long hair bands). Billy Joel and Rob Thomas. Garbage. Soft female singers like Loreena McKinnett, Sarah McLaughlin, Dido, etc. But not Mariah Carey or boy bands.
9. a. What's your favorite color(s)? I love rich chestnuts, wines, plums, blues, greens, dove greys, smoky blues, corals. I also love Caribbean colors, cornflower blues, aquas, clear greens, that sort of thing.
b. Any colors you just can't stand? I’m not a big fan of 70s style mustard brown or pea green in general. Yellows/Beige look terrible near my face. Neons (with the exception of bright colors on my ballband washcloths)
10. a. What is your family situation? Live with my best friend.
b. Do you have any pets? We share Gypsy, who is our lab/springer spaniel rescue.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Hats and scarves.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I just started socks and love them. I'm just now venturing out of the Knitpicks sock yarn into some of the other brands to see what I like.
I also enjoy knitting fuzzy feet and washcloths, and make baby items for various charities. I work fulltime and attend graduate courses in the evenings, so I like small, portable projects I can work on easily in the free time I can find... at least until July 2007 when I get my weekends and evenings back again!!
13. What are you knitting right now?
Children socks for Dulaan/Socktoberfest, fuzzy feet with my handdyed yarn for a birthday gift, assorted dishcloths, Irish Hiking Scarf and I started playing with a mohair scarf pattern last night.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes, provided it is something I would use. I'd hate for someone to go through the trouble of making me a tea cozy when I don't drink tea, etc. I've not had that happen yet, thank goodness :)
15. a. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
For socks, I use two Knitpicks Circulars.
b. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I like my Denises, but am hoping to get the Knitpicks Options from my family for my birthday or the holidays. I'm not a big fan of Bamboo but Gypsy loves to eat them.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes, I have both. Next, I'm hoping to get a small niddy noddy.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Irish Hiking Scarf from July.
18. What is your favorite holiday? The New Year. For me, it’s a chance to reflect, and renew my spirit.
Also, I'm a fan of International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Yarrrrr!
19. Is there anything that you collect? Recipes.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
No magazine subscriptions yet. I've been hoping to get the Mason Dixon book or Simply Noro at some point.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Entrelac (so I can one day make a Lady E stole), and being able to follow more complicated patterns.
I'd also like to eventually move on to sweaters so a future project will be a couple of child/baby sized sweaters before I move into adult size. And learning how to use DPNs for socks, right now it is just awkward.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Size 8.5 Womens (US)
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) October 28